Black Plum or Black Berry or Java plum or Jambul (Syzgium cumini) or Malablar Plum, a summer fruit, has many medicinal properties and is full of high-quality fibres, many nutrients, essential oils and anti-oxidants. Eating a few black plums a day will help in preventing a series of physical ailments like indigestion, heat stroke, cough, fever, typhoid, diabetes and urinary tract infection.
1. Diabetes: Those who suffer from diabetes should include 8-10 black plums in their diet to control blood glucose. This low-calorie fruit has no cholesterol or fat and acts both as a preventive as well as a cure for diabetics. In ancient ayurvedic treatments, even the seeds of the fruit, the bark of the black plum tree and its leaves were used.
2. Acidity: The juice of the fruit may be consumed mixed with black salt (Himalayan pink salt) and dry-fried cumin seeds to cure acidity.
3. Diarrhoea: Rock salt mixed with the juice of ripe black plums prevents diarrhoea. In this case the tannin and the lutein present in the fruit helps.
4. Anemia: Black plum, being full of iron, helps in increasing the amount of haemoglobin in blood.
5. Fatty liver: The juice of the fruit helps in preventing and curing enlarged liver conditions.
6. Infection prevention: Anti-oxidant and vitamin-rich black plum has special anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
7. Rheumatism: If rheumatic patients consume black plums in their breakfast, it will help to keep their pain in control.
8. Lack of appetite: Consumption of ripe black plum fruits restores appetite.
9. Sunburns: The juice of black plum can be used to treat sunburns.